On this page:
10 Best Paint Brushes – Top Picks & Reviews
- Purdy 144080225 Nylox Series Dale Angular Trim Paint Brush, 2-1/2 Inch
- Presa Premium 5-Piece Paint Brush Set
- Wooster Brush Q3118-1
- Purdy XL Elite Stiff Chinex/Polyester Sash Paint Brush, 1½-inch
- Wooster 2-inch Shortcut Polyester Angle Sash Brush
- Shur-Line 2006561 Paint Edger Pro
- Purdy XL Series Medium-Stiff Nylon/Polyester Paint Brush, 4-inch
- Bartsh Round Chalk Paint Brush – 3 Pieces
- Proform CS1.OAS
- Stanley Soft Grip Polyester Brush Set – 5 Pieces
Having worked on many projects involving a paint brush over the years, including painting furniture, walls, a few rooms and even some art! I have come to recognize the importance of having the best paint brush for the job.
It’s just a part of doing the job right, in addition to preparing the surface, mixing the paint and taping off sections, purchasing the right brush, can solve a lot of headaches. But with all the different types of paint brushes available it can be tough knowing which is going to be the best one for you.
The best paint brushes have durable bristles that can maintain their shape, hold a good amount of paint and apply it smoothly with ease. You also don’t want a paint brush that starts to fall apart on your first couple projects. That means bristles should rarely fall out, and when you clean the brush it returns to its original condition.
Once you’ve done some research you’ll discover their a range of different types of brushes for different applications. From synthetic and natural hair brushes to paint brushes with different angles and widths of bristles each one is used for a specific use like oil paints or cutting.
Ultimately, whatever you choose to go with will be determined by your task at hand. But you don’t have to do the research on your own. Our team has outlined the best paint brushes you can buy below!
In a Rush?
Here’s 5 products we picked out that we thought you would be interested in depending on your budget range and brush requirements…
BEST OVERALL PICK
The Best Paint Brushes Overall with Reviews
Here’s a list of the Best Paint Brushes we found:
1. Presa Premium 5-Piece Paint Brush Set
- Comes with a range of brushes, making it a good starter kit.
- Synthetic filament maintains its shape when loaded with paint
- The bristle lengths may be to long for some projects
- Not the best for use with oil paints
This paint brush kit is an excellent set, not only does it come highly reviewed but also at a great price point. But don’t let the price mislead you, each brush included is high quality and built to last. Made out of wood with synthetic SRT bristles these brushes can hold up to 30% more paint than your standard paint brush while still being easy to clean after use.
The bristles can also handle a range of different paints, including stains and lacquers, though they may not be ideal for oil-based paint. And the set comes with a range of different sized brushes including 3 inches, 2 ½ inches, 2 inches, 1 ½ inches and 1 inch. This will ensure you will have a brush for the job, whether it’s edging and finishing trim, or getting fine lines and cutting.
These brushes are built for professional painters and to withstand painting rough surfaces but don’t take just our word for it, there are tons of great reviews online that you can check out! Ultimately, whatever brushes you choose to go with, this brush set is worth considering.
2. Purdy 144080225 Nylox Series Dale Angular Trim Paint Brush, 2-1/2 Inch
- Excellent for fine finishes on doors or trim.
- Comes with a brush “keeper” to maintain the form and extend the brushes life.
- 100% solid tapered (SRT) Nylon filament from dupont can withstand abrasion well
- The angular shape and soft bristles may not be suitable for your painting requirements.
- Primarily designed to be used with latex paints.
A new brush from Purdy, the Nylox series Angular brush is great tool for those jobs where you require an ultra smooth finish and a lot of control. The brush is 2 and a half inches making it great for painting doors or trim or other small spaces where you require a refined tool.
Purdy has been in the business of making brushes for more than 80 years and has really gotten their process locked down. Each brush even comes with a sticker indicating the person who handcrafted the brush, ensuring you know you’re purchasing a quality product every time.
This brush is made out of 100% nylon filament making it easy to clean as well. Overall, making this a great choice if you’re looking for a solid paint brush that will last you a while.
3. Wooster Brush Q3118-1
- Great price, one of the most affordable in our list.
- Durable build with nylon filament bristles.
- Brush head can hold a fair amount of paint.
- It’s a cheap brush and their may be higher end options out there.
- Handle can feel rough on the hands as it is made out of plastic
If you are looking for a budget brush but don’t want to sacrifice on quality this is definitely a brush to consider. The Wooster Brush Q3118-1 is durable and well priced tool with nylon polyester filament making it easy to clean, while maintaining its ability to hold paint well.
This ensures the brush can hold adequate amounts of paint without significant paint loss (aka. those drips we all hate!) and holds its shape well. The brush handle is good length and feels solid in the hand, being built out of plastic you can also rest assured it will be around for a while.
So if you are on a budget and need a nice little paint brush for your project the Wooster Brush Q3118-1 may be a good fit for you.
4. Purdy XL Elite Stiff Chinex/Polyester Sash Paint Brush, 1½-inch
- Great for detailed paint work, like painting trim, molding and small spaces.
- Handcrafted by Purdy, with 80 years of experience they build some of the best paint brushes available.
- Bristles are a nylon/ polyester blend
- Not intended for painting large areas.
- Not the most multi functional due to the shape of its bristles.
If you saw our review on Purdy brushes above than you already know they are some of the best on the market. Not only are they handcrafted, with stickers indicating the purdy worker who built their brush, but they are also easy to clean and maintain their form. Their form stays due to the brush “keeper” they provide with the tool, that acts like a sheath to keep your brush in better condition longer.
So whether you are looking to paint wood trim, a corner or some molding this brush should have your back. With that being said, this brush is primarily intended for use with low VOC paints, meaning it can handle thicker materials.
5. Wooster 2-inch Shortcut Polyester Angle Sash Brush
- Easy to handle
- Built for achieving a fine edge and painting spots where precision is required.
- Can only handle painting smaller projects
- It’s more of a specialized brush, primarily used for cutting and trimming,
This brush seemed to be in many blogs top pick lists and for good reason. The Wooster Shortcut 2-inch Angle Sash Brush is a solid brush with angled bristles that enable you to achieve precise straight line work. Moreover due to the size of the brush it can hold an ample amount of paint, releasing it with relative ease without being too prone to dripping.
This is great when you are trying to paint those corners where two edges of paint meet and you can’t have overlap. In addition to its precision the brush also feels good in the hand, with a short handle it feels like a natural part of you when painting, giving you a great degree of control over the paint.
6. Shur-Line 2006561 Paint Edger Pro
- Great for edging baseboards and molding.
- Professional quality tool that makes applying paint along trim and ceilings easier.
- Works well when used in tandem with a paint roller.
- Can be more difficult to clean than a standard brush.
This is a great little tool if you are looking to paint trim, molding, or ceilings quickly. Built to rest on a base with a pair of wheels near it’s top you roll it across your surface to create a clean thick line of paint. It goes well with a paint roller or paint sprayer if you are trying to get a room painted quickly. You can use the shur line to apply a line of paint than spread it out with the paint roller.
What’s more, you can even attach this paint brush to a pole, giving you the ability to paint the edges in the ceiling or any other hard to reach places without requiring a ladder.
One thing to note is that this paint brush is relatively more specialized than your standard paint brush so if you are looking for something that’s a bit of an all arounder you may be best suited by something like a purdy.
7. Purdy XL Series Medium-Stiff Nylon/Polyester Paint Brush, 4-inch
- Highly reviewed online.
- Easy to clean and maintains its form.
- Trusted brand, built to last.
- Bristles made from a nylon/ polyester filament.
- May be to big for the job if you are looking to achieve fine detail.
- Could feel a little hard to control.
When considering whether a brush or a roller is the right choice for the job it can be difficult to know which one is the right tool to go with. This brush can compete with a roller do to its size, coming in at 4 inches wide it can, making it possible to paint larger projects; with that being said we’d still suggest a roller when you’re trying to paint something like a room. This brush shines at tackling projects like painting furniture
With a good handle, the brush feels like an extension of your hand but at times it can be a little heavy, especially if you are painting for a long period of time. Additionally, the brush features nylon/ polyester filaments making the brush head slightly stiffer than your standard brush. This stiffness makes it good for a wide range of surfaces. If you are looking for a good all around wide brush, this is one to consider
8. Bartsh Round Chalk Paint Brush
- 2 inch round bristle head made of boar.
- The company claims it has a low shed design that maintains bristles longer.
- Great for use with chalk paint.
- Not ideal for all paints, and can be hard to use in tight spaces.
The Bartsh Round Chalk Paint Brush is a round brush made with boar hair that is excellent for chalk paint. It’s round bristle shape makes it ideal for painting large areas, furniture or thick lines. And it’s bristles can handle a range of materials, including chalk paints and waxes. Overall if you need something for refinishing furniture around the house, this is a strong contender.
9. Proform CS1.OAS
- Excellent for when you need to paint corners and trimming.
- The brushes smaller size gives you greater control over your application.
- Built with a solid handle.
- Only 1 inch bristle head, making this brush a poor choice if you need to paint a large area.
If you need a small brush for getting into tight spaces and painting fine detail than the Proform CS1.OAS is worth considering. Built for painting things like corners, or trimming and edging. This brush is great for situations where control and precision are required. Though we would note that one downside of using a smaller brush size is the time it takes to complete a painting project.
If you’re wondering how this paint brush feels in hand, it comes with a long handle that feels good for quick projects around the home. With an added benefit of some additional length if you need it when your trying to paint spaces slightly out of reach.
10. Stanley Soft Grip Polyester Brush Set – 5 Pieces
- Reputable brand and fair price.
- Great all-around paint brush set including a 2 inch brush, 1.5 inch brush, in addition to a range of others
- Can handle a broad range of coatings including paint and lacquers.
- If you need a larger brush you may be better suited elsewhere.
Stanley has been a reputable brand in tools for a long time now and their paint brushes down let you down. Built with solid grips and polyester filaments the Stanley brushes are very durable and relatively easy to clean.
So whether you are trying to paint some furniture or just need to do some touch ups around the house one of the brushes in the kit should suit your needs. What makes these brushes even better is their soft grips, helping them feel comfortable in the hand; especially when you are painting for a while.
The durable handle and wide variety of brush shapes make this kit exceptional for tackling a wide variety of surfaces. So if you are looking for a set, we this these will be well worth your time to check out.
In conclusion, there are many great paint brushes to choose from. Whether you are looking for a set of brushes or a single brush for a specific use case we have covered something for you here.
As always if you have a question or comment, our comment section is below!