In a Rush?
Here’s 3 of the best heat guns we picked out that we thought you would be interested in depending on your budget range and brush requirements…
BEST OVERALL PICK
- The 10 Best Heat Guns with Reviews
- Buyers Guide: Best Heat Gun
The use of a heat gun can be very beneficial if you know what you are doing. The key is to make sure you get the right gun for your needs as well as not overpay for features you won’t use. As always, price will depend on both the features and the brand of heat gun you choose to go with.
While a basic tool may be all you need, it can be to your advantage to pay a little extra to get one that has a few quality of life and special use features.
The following article reviews some of the best heat guns on the market and includes a buyers guide to help you make a smart purchasing decision. Having all of the information about these models can ensure you make a decision that will be right for your needs as well as your budget.
The 10 Best Heat Guns with Reviews
Here’s a list of the top heat guns we found:
- A hanging ring that is built in for easy storage
- Adjustable temperature control
- Ability to adjust the heat from 120 degrees Fahrenheit to 1100 degrees
- No LCD screen
- Temperature adjustment can be a little difficult
- Limited accessories
Sometimes with a heat gun, it is what you don’t see that can make all of the difference. This is not a model that will make the list for being one of the best of the best as it does not have all of the fancy features that many of the others have. One thing you can be sure of is the fact that this gun will have temperature control that will not give you the same level of accuracy, but still will allow you to tweak the temperature to get as close as you can to the preferred range.
One thing that will stand out, is the metal hook will allow for a wide range of options for you to hang it and store. This will also allow you to hang the gun to cool down after use.
If you are interested in the range of temperature, it can go as low as 120 and will go all the way to the temperature of 1100. This is a huge advantage as it will allow you to tackle a wider range of projects.
If you are on a budget and don’t want to overspend, this model falls in the middle of the road in terms of price. This is one of the more reasonably priced products that you will find on the market.
Having a tool that will deliver the level of results that you expect in a commercial setting is a huge bonus for a DIYer.
One thing that you will notice is the fact that there is no LCD screen that makes reaching a perfect temperature control a bit of a challenge. This along with the fact that there is only two settings means you will have to work to see which settings work for the right application.
This heat gun is on the lower end of price ranges.
- Well priced and built to last
- Lightweight making it easy to hold for long periods of time
- Durable and well designed
- Lacks true temperature control
- Comes with minimal accessories
- No stand to support it while cooling off after use
Coming from a brand that has been trusted for years, you will be amazed at the fact that the company makes an amazing heat gun for a fraction of the price that many others on the market will be asking for. There is no reason why this heat gun should not be at the top of your list when it comes time for you to make a purchase decision.
- Durable construction and well designed
- Another lightweight option
- Excellent value to price
- No warranty
- No LCD screen or display
Black+Decker is a name that people have trusted for a long number of years for their tools. It would only make sense that the heat gun you decide to buy should be one of these as well.
While the price is lower than some of the others on the market, it does stand out on its own with a stand that will allow you to let the heat gun cool after use.
- Best heat gun with a built-in stand to allow for cooling
- Easy to handle
- Light and easy to be carry around
- Limited temperature options with only two heat settings
- No LCD screen to view temperature
When you are looking for a top of the line heat guns, the list of features for this model goes on and on. The main differentiator is the fact that it has an LCD screen that makes controlling the temperature very easy and precise. This along with the fact that the grip is very comfortable makes it ideal for long term use.
There is also a stand as well as a built-in ring that makes storage and cooling off a breeze and reduces the chance of injury from touching a hot surface.
While on the higher end in terms of price, it may be worthwhile given the additional features.
- Built in hook for hanging up after use
- Can handle being used for extended periods of time
- Durable and professional quality
- On the higher end of the price range
- Does not include a storage case
If you are looking to just get a heat gun that is basic and won’t break the bank, this is a great choice.
- Easy to adjust temperature settings
- One of the more durable options in this list
- No accessories
- Limited temperature settings
If you are just getting started with heat guns, then you will want to make it a point that you look at this model as it is nothing fancy, but has enough features that will give you a real feel of how the tool operates and how useful this tool can be in a large number of applications.
The temperature controls are pretty standard and consist of two settings; low and high. You will have to use the product yourself to get a feel of what settings work best for each type of application. Taking control of heat range you will have a limited amount of options that you will have to think about.
- Temperature is easy to adjust
- Affordable even for beginners
- Does not include a stand, making it more difficult to cool off
- No LCD screen and limited temperature options
Smaller is sometimes better and that is the case with this heat gun. The first thing that you need to know is that this is a small compact design and as such you are not going to be doing car wraps with it anytime soon. If you are looking for a heat gun that delivers a more controlled application, then you are in luck with this one as it will deliver the results you need for a more precise application. This is not a lot like any of the others that have been reviewed mainly for the fact that this is more of a pen than it is a gun.
This innovative design means that you have better control over where you are applying the heat. The item is designed to be held like a pencil so it will have a bit of a learning curve that you will have to adjust to. Other than that, you will quickly see that this is a good tool to have in your garage for those smaller jobs where you don’t need a large gun to finish the job.
- Small in size
- Great price to value
- Retractable stand to allow for easy cooling after use
- No temperature adjustment
- No LCD temperature display
- Small learning curve to use the tool
Buyers Guide: Best Heat Gun
Ultimately, you want to find the right heat gun for your exact needs as well as fit into your budget. While any one of these would be a great addition to your garage, this part of the buying guide will show you the things that you need to make sure that you consider when you make a purchase decision.
Purchasing a Heat Gun – What to Consider
- Look to see if the heat gun that you want to buy has an LCD screen. These can make the use of the gun a lot easier as you can control the temperature in addition to getting a more accurate range of temperatures. Most of the time you will find LCD screens on higher end models. As a result, you will pay extra for the gun but will have the added bonus of being able to accurately direct heat where you need it to be as well as have accurate control over the temperature.
- Be sure that the heat gun has a way to control the temperature. No matter what model you buy, there will be some sort of control over the temperature of the heat gun. Basic less priced models will have a couple of settings that you can choose from. If you want to spend a few extra dollars, then you can always buy a model that allows you to select a more accurate temperature control. The difference will simply come down to a matter of how much control do you want to have over the temperature that you are applying to the surface.
- Look at what the range will be for the temperature on the model you are thinking about. Most of the basic models will range from 750 to as much as 1000 degrees. If you buy one of the more advanced models then your temperature range can be between 120 to 1200 degrees. The better the range is, then the more applications that the heat gun will be ideal for.
- Look at the accessories that are included in the package that you select. While you may only need some basic nozzles, you may want to spend the extra money and get a model that includes a scraper along as part of the accessories for the heat gun. It will be a little extra out of your pocket, but you will be glad in the end that you spent the extra money to get the extra accessories.
Looking at the Ways that Heat Guns Can be Beneficial
Heat guns can be great to heat up pipes that are frozen. When you have pipes that have frozen, using a heat gun on the pipe will help to stop the process and prevent the pipe from over expanding and as a result bursting. This is one of the best ways of dealing with a pipe that is frozen and helps to in the end reduce the amount of money that you will have to pay out to replace a burst pipe.
If you have a bolt that is rusted, then the use of a heat gun can help you to loosen the rust and allow it to be removed a lot easier than if you use something like WD-40 or other items designed to break loose a bolt that has rusted in place.
If you are doing electrical work, then you can use a heat gun to melt plastic and make the job a lot easier. Often times the use of a heat gun will take a job that would normally take you up to an hour or longer can be done a lot sooner with the use of a heat gun.